Scott Monty, Ford’s Global Head of Social Media is my inaugural guest on this first episode of the Inside Social Media podcast. Scott is pretty much synonymous with big brand social media and he’s one of the most sought after speakers on social media today.
The interview is chock full of insights and strategies that make Ford one of the top brands in social media today.
Ford Social Media Strategy Tips
Here are the top tips and strategies that Scott and I discuss, that you can take and put into action immediately for your own business:
- Social media is about awareness and consideration rather than about driving leads or sales. Obviously you’re in business to sell things and to make money but it won’t work unless your company has a good reputation and people trust you. Social media allows you to build that trust and good reputation.
- Social media is about building relationships with the people that you care about, with the people that you want to care about you and with the communities in which you do business.
- Do you think like a consumer? Think about what makes them resonate with something emotionally rather than something that you’re so excited about because you’ve been working on it for three years. You want people to take your message and pass it along. Give them a reason to do this.
- Each of the social platforms are different and should be treated as such. Twitter, allows for quick updates that need to be timely. That doesn’t work the same as it does on Facebook or on Google+. Facebook tends to be mainstream, for family and friends. Google+ tends to be more cutting edge. Be an active participant in the communities where you customers are. That not be every platform.
- You MUST be listening in social media. It’ll tell where your customers are and where you need to be.
- When listening, look at what kind of content your customers, leaders in your industry and competitors are engaging with and sharing. Use this intelligence to develop a content strategy that supports your business and allows you to stand out in a way that resonates with your customer.
- Based on what people are telling you through social media, how might you change your product offering or a service you provide? By listening, it informs your own product cycle or your own service philosophy and helps you improve your business.
Links discussed during the interview
Ford’s social hub: http://social.ford.com/
Scott’s personal website: http://www.scottmonty.com/
iTunes Review + Rating
If you enjoyed this podcast, I’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave me a review and rating over on iTunes. Your taking a minute to do this allows me to help more people with this podcast, so I really appreciate it.
Transcript of Scott Monty’s Ford Social Media Strategy
Thanks very much!
Until next time, keep rockin’.