Pepsi is one of the more forward thinking brands when it comes to social media and tends to be on the cutting edge of real-time marketing, especially when it comes to pop culture.
In my discussion with Shiv, we talk a lot about measuring your social media efforts including how Pepsi looks at the success of their Super Bowl campaign from this past February as well as their Pepsi Refresh campaigns from a couple years ago.
Here are the top tips and strategies that Shiv and I discuss, that you can take and put into action immediately for your own business:
- Social media all starts with listening. What are your customers talking about? What are their aspirations, concerns? Offer content based on that listening.
- Leverage social media to add more to the lives of your consumers while not interrupting them.
- Create unique/entertaining content for social platforms where your customers are. For example, you could create one minute videos about some form of pop culture that your customers are interested in and post them to Twitter.
- Don’t expect to cover off on every social platform, though, it’s just not reasonable. Pick and choose based on your brand’s strategy and how it aligns with a particular social platform. If your customers are there, go deep on that platform.
- Do you have a goal in mind when beginning your social media efforts. Otherwise, how can you measure what you’re doing?
- Have a pulse on pop culture and your customer base so you can act quickly, from strategy to implementation. This is real time marketing.
- If applicable, make every effort to link your online social efforts to your offline efforts. For example, if you have a retail presence.
Just a heads-up, Shiv is on his cell phone so the audio quality in the first part of the interview isn’t as 100% good as you’ve come to expect of the show. The audio gets better as the interview goes on, though, so stick with us.
Links discussed during the interview
- Social Media Marketing for Dummies (book, affiliate link)
- Vine App
- Follow Pepsi on Twitter
- Follow Shiv on Twitter
–> Give Shiv a shout-out on Twitter for sharing his insights by tweeting to him here!
iTunes Review + Rating
If you enjoyed this podcast, I’d be extremely grateful if you would take a second and leave me a review and rating over on iTunes. Your taking a minute to do this allows me to help more people with this podcast, so I really appreciate it.
Thanks very much!
Until next time, keep rockin’.